Tuesday, May 5, 2009

No Apologies

For my appreciation and affection of classic rock. Even though I've heard Pink Floyd's, "Dark Side of the Moon" album many times (never have played it while watching "The Wizard of Oz" because I resist urban legends), there is always something new to hear. The following lyrics from the song "Time" on that album speak to the Bo Baker "Best Day Ever" brand of thinking.

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" - Pink Floyd

I think Bo will look back 10 years from now and say, "Holy Cow, I packed a lot of fun in those 10 years!" Then, he will pack even more fun in the next 10 years, then 10 years after that, etc., etc., and so forth.

Hunter's mother told me they were going to picnic on the beach the other night. It takes them 8 minutes to walk to the beach from their house. I'm not jealous or anything, but I am channeling something that feels like jealousy. They got rained out, so they did a picnic and tunes on their front porch.



A friend of mine recently traveled to England and brought me back this postcard. Look closely. When people I know travel to places I have never been, I like to get rocks from where they have been. It's cool and they are cheap. I have rocks from all over the world. This rock souvenir cracked me up. She also bought me a rock from Dover, England. Very white and chalky. Come by sometime and I'll show them to you.

Best Days Ever! - Bo Baker

7 comments:

Pat said...

Okay...now I'm curious...what's the urban legend? As much as my husband still likes to listen to Pink Floyd and has our 24 year old son hooked on it too, I've never heard the story. I'm all ears!

Anonymous said...

I've learned from your blog that I need to pay more attention to song lyrics. Enjoy all your moments! Best to Bo and Hunter
Lisa
PS: ditto, what's the urban legend?

skippy said...

My favorite lyric is actually in the next stanza but it ends darkly, so I won't quote it here.

Dark Side of the Moon, aside from being one of the best musical performances of all time, might also be one of the finest peices of literature of all time.

skippy said...

Will you explain it, or shall I?

Greg said...

Skippy, if you explain it, I got nuthin for the blog tomorrow...Kidding! Go for it and make sure you put in the part that Roger Waters was amused by the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

So I spent all day today in the office listening to Queen, and now I guess tomorrow it will be Pink Floyd. At least it is one way to remember my friend Greg and that is a good thing for me. Lately, I have been feeling overwhelmed and consumed, but my issues pale in comparison to yours. So I will try to focus on that. Thank you for sending me that energy.

- Judith

skippy said...

From wiki (as good a source as any for an urban legend):

"Dark Side of the Rainbow (also known as Dark Side of Oz or The Wizard of Floyd) refers to the pairing of the 1973 Pink Floyd music album The Dark Side of the Moon with the visual portion of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz. This produces moments where the film and the album appear to correspond with each other. The title of the music video-like experience comes from a combination of the album title and the film's song "Over the Rainbow". It is also a reference to the rainbow from a prism design on the cover of the Pink Floyd album. Band members and others involved in making of the album state that any relationship between the two works of art is merely a coincidence."