Tuesday, May 12, 2009

We Know The Drugs Are Working..

My platelets did do a dive since Thursday. They were at 156 on Thursday and yesterday they were at 50. That number did not require a platelet infusion. However, I am scheduled to get the "platelet poke" again on Wednesday. I think I figured out the trick of avoiding a platelet infusion. I've been taking my laptop with me in anticipation of being held up from going back to work because of waiting for platelets. Since the hospital has WiFi connection, I can sit there and get work done with my laptop. Right now I'm 2-0 with that. I will be taking my laptop with me tomorrow.

Funny story from yesterday's appt. is that I mentioned to the Nurse Practitioner that she and I will be doing a bone marrow biopsy again next week. She furrowed her brow and frowned a little bit. I asked her what was up. She said, "I don't enjoy doing them on people I know. I much prefer to do them on strangers because of the pain involved." I told her it wasn't that bad the first time and that no one has apologized more to me for pain than she did when she did the first one. I told her I would take my Ipod and listen to it while she worked and that we would be fine. I guess this time, it's my turn to be as nice to her as she was to me. She's a good egg that I would recommend to anyone.

Some good folks from church brought back some ramps from North Carolina and I picked them up last night. They smell mighty good, but I won't be eating them raw anytime soon. I'll cook them and use them in food. Fine stuff, them ramps.

Last night I had a little bit of the "I'm tired of this and don't want to do it anymore....I'll ask the doctor what the consequences would be if we stopped now" thing going on. I know the answer, but like anything that requires some bit of faith, it's healthy to question it every now and then so that the truth gets confirmed and strengthened. I'm a guy that believes truth comes from reason vs. affirming or authoritative statements. The owner of the company where I work told me the other week, "The last mile of a marathon is the hardest. Hang with it. You are going to win!" I liked that. I told him that it helped knowing there was a large crowd cheering me between the start and finish line.

Thanks for being in the crowd.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

(the sound you hear is Kathleen cheering). Okay so you don't hear any sounds, but I am cheering for you. Remember there less than four months to football season. I hope to see you at one of the games!!

Anonymous said...

Hip hip hooray for Greg. How is that for cheering? I just had a conversation with our mutual friend Stephen about you. We remarked about your perpetual glass is half full attitude. I am trying hard to grasp hold of that right now, while I await biopsy results of my own and wishing I could be less of a glass is half empty kind of gal. At least, I am staying ahead of the curve on somethings. Looks like I will be having surgery soon, so I can join you in the recuperative boat.

- Judith

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to use our new
"facility". Things were confusing
today at the desk as the pariets
were moved from the 3rd floor to the new 2nd floor. Phones didn't work at first, etc. I hope you had a nice view also. Good luck with the next phases. I go back in 6 mo.
for another check-up. What are
"ramps" from NC?
Betty Wright