Friday, May 15, 2009

Miracles In The "Ordinary"

Those who know me well will agree that the "worse" thing this whole bucket of fun has done is that it has given me time to think about stuff. That, I can do!

Sometimes it's easy to think "Wouldn't it be great if the next time I had a scan, the doctor would look at it and say, 'It's a miracle! You are cancer free. No further treatments are necessary.'" That would be a miracle and would be welcomed. However, I think the true miracles are happening in what has occurred so far. As I told a friend last night, we overlook the miracles of body regeneration research, chemotherapy advancement, tumors that were once inoperable being classified as treatable, long term survival rates, and medical professionals who are in it to fight the disease.

We overlook encouraging words from friends like,"I'm impressed that it's taken you this long to actually question this whole thing and feel like throwing in the towel. I'll bet most people deal with that much earlier on. I feel certain that your Dr. will prescribe a "happy place" pill for those times, but if I know you (and I think I do) you'd opt not to take one. You always seem to find your "happy place" on your own. Always admire you for that."

We overlook the miracles of receiving regular cards and words of support from people we know and also from complete strangers who have heard about us.

We overlook the miracle that I haven't had to shave my face in almost two weeks, due to my body's reaction to the chemotherapy drugs.

One Sunday in church in the middle of a hymn that was being sung, I was having a pity party and at one point I stopped, and via the "thought process," I said, "It's your problem now." It felt like the world had been lifted off my shoulders.

It was a miracle.

1 comment:

skippy said...

First.

Some obscure Yes for you:

Sing when open hearts are calling,
Shout with open eyes (To the miracle of life)
Far below the deepest treasure
To the miracle of life.

Congratulations on giving the alien away or giving him up, whichever is more descriptive. You might try to grab him back for a while, but don't worry about that, you know you can give him up again anytime you want.