Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hemoglobin and Oysters

I'm most likely slated for some whole blood transfusion today to boost up all of the blood vs. platelets only as in the past. It's all part of the "normal" part of this treatment. Some numbers are hanging in there and they just want to make sure I trend in the right direction. Some numbers are at their "nadir" and have no where to go but back up. With that said, they told me that it's very important at this stage that anybody who wants to visit who may have a cold, or has been exposed to one, hold off on visiting until my counts come back up. Don't even feel the least bit bad if you can't come to visit because of that. I will respect your decision and will look forward to seeing you all that much more when the green flag goes back up.

Another interesting conversation I had yesterday is that blood products and platelets go to trauma victims first (as they should) and then the rest of us as it is available. There have been some needed transfusions down here that had to wait because of lack of product. The only reason it makes no sense to me is that there should never be a lack of product. There are plenty of beds available at blood banks everywhere and if you call them up and they say they can't fit you in, be ornery and tell them you want to help continue and save lives. See how they answer to that.

About oysters... From the perspective of a cancer patient, but very applicable if you aren't, I have told my story quite a bit and have heard other stories. I appreciate that you have listened to my story and that you have shared yours. One thing that can overwhelm you at times is hearing a story that has some similarity to yours, but not exactly. The trick is turning that information into a pearl from the grit and mud that you are ingesting. That's what the doctors, nurses, caregivers, clinical researchers help you do. I don't even like oysters, but I like their system.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, Greg, you're saying a pearl or "gem" is where you find it and what you do to make it.

Greg said...

I say to "Anonymous" that if you work on making pearls, that's all humanity is called to do. That's my "fish story" and I'm sticking with it. - Greg

Anonymous said...

I think you are a "priceless" gem. Skippy knows what I mean.

- Judith