Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Mechanics Of It All

Some good questions and comments about this whole process have come my way in the last few days.

The stem cell return party is more about a construction job than a "flush and fill." If it were simply flush and fill, it wouldn't take as long. The stem cells coming back are about having all of the blocks, mortar, nails and wood delivered to the job site and then the rebuilding process begins. For some of us in here, it takes a little longer because of the type of construction required. My rebuilding process is underway and for now they will monitor the progress, all the while being subject to external environmental factors (susceptibility to infections, etc. due to low blood counts) just as a rain shower would delay construction on a building. The rain shower doesn't mean that construction has to stop, it means it is delayed until the floor gets mopped up and the lumber gets dried off. Then, we keep building.

My construction delays will probably occur early-mid next week as they say that is usually the time that the patient feels kind of run down and fatigued. However, they got meds for that. If I don't post status, or seem kind of weary between now and the day I'm released, no cause for concern unless you hear differently.

Another interesting bit of stem cell trivia....On the "tag" that was on my stem cells, there was an expiration date. The date was 10 years after they were collected. Amazing stuff. One of the Physician Assistants told me that he was working with some stem cells that had been stored in the lab for at least 20 years. He also recounted a story about someone who had tried to sell their stem cells on E-Bay. Needless to say, E-Bay shut that down pretty quick.

I probably won't post anything on the blog until Monday unless I have any good stuff to share or the dreams from nighttime are even more vivid. Frankly, I'm going with Judith's dream suggestions (except for the baby blue ones - you'd think she'd lay off the Tar Heel comments on my blog after last year).

Oh...one other thing. The caregivers, all of them, are big on celebrating any and all milestones. There is doubt ahead, as there is with anything. However, you are still allowed to celebrate the return of stem cells (some of the caregivers call it your "other birthday"), ending chemo, blood counts coming back to normal, etc. Cancer does take something away from you. However, so do a lot of things. Letting those things continually bankrupt you, gives them permission to have the power they do not deserve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember dear Greg that I was at "that" game this year. But I was also at the Final Four this year. So what I choose to remember most about the 2009 Tar Heels is the victories that were celebrated and not the defeats. A brave soul, you, has taught me a lot about that philosophy of life over the past year.

Cancer does take away from you, but in your case I think it has given so much more back. The Alien taught you more about yourself than you ever would have dared to know otherwise. The new reconstructed Greg is better than ever.

- Judith

skippy said...

Wait 'til you see what I did to the stem cells while they were out of you. Took 'em to Chapel Hill for Allen and Sons BBQ and an alumni pick up game. Now they are Tar Heel fans.

Hope you don't mind....