Sunday, July 19, 2009

Someone's Got To Do It!

The reason I am receiving this treatment and all of the supplemental medications that go along with it is due to research and testing in the past that created a median point of reactions to all of this. Somewhere, there were folks that were outside of the median one way or the other. Those who know me well, know where I fall.

With that said, I am halfway completed with the chemo treatments that they are administering during my stay in here. Last night, I slept well and hiccups did not come to visit. I was hungry when I woke up this morning and I forced myself to rest even though I started stirring awake around the normal time I do when I am at home. The nights are restless somewhat because the nurses have to administer the chemo and do vital sign measurements on me every 4 hours. It cracks me up when they apologize for waking you, but I tell them I see that as their way of wanting me to get better.

We're having fun in here. Some great personalities in here and it's a special person who chooses this line of work. We have talked about the advances in cancer treatment and how we believe that some of this stuff may be as simple one day as taking an OTC medicine. I believe it and I think of the folks who have been courageous enough in the past to undergo treatment in order to pave the way for those of us who have followed them later. There should be optimism driving all of this. As I told the nurse today, "I know I may not be feeling all that well on the day my stem cells go back into me, but I do know that it will be the beginning of me of getting me back to feeling well."

The attending doctor gave me some optimism yesterday. I don't want to promise anything (and really can't), but the schedule he and I discussed about when I could potentially be "bounced back," is ahead of the schedule I had set in my mind - for the first time in any of this.

I'm going for it!

No comments: