Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What Am I Drinking?

May have to really start drinking my own tonic. Have had some great conversations with caregivers and other folks in here about my optimism and outlook. I've told them that I haven't always been so optimistic about stuff in the past. Frankly, a year ago, I knew I was not in a good place mentally and physically. Ah, the hindsight of time!

Today, I'm pretty fired up as, except for some IV fluid going in me today, there will be nothing going in me until tomorrow when the stem cells come back. I've slept pretty well the past few nights and wonder if it will be like Christmas Eve tonight.

Blood counts are good from yesterday, but that doesn't mean they will continue to stay where they are. I expect them to drop as the chemo finishes it's job and then the stem cells will start bringing them back some time next week. I have given myself a target date for release, not based on anything anyone has promised. I will defer to the wisdom of my body, the doctor's and nurses for the actual date. No matter what it is, it will be just fine. The great thing about this particular process is that there are benchmark days to celebrate your achievement. So far, there have been two. Admission and the end of chemo. Tomorrow is #3 day and then #4 (when blood counts start picking back up) and then #5 (when I am released). Due to the good nature of everyone in here, there are lots of great bridges to help with the crossing to those benchmark days.

"Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad.
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, give a whistle,
And this'll help things turn out for the best, and..." - Eric Idle

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Sending some good thoughts your way! Bring on the stem cells!

alebaba said...

Love the quote of the day!

Bring on the whistlin' :)

Anonymous said...

Here's looking forward to #5.

- Judith

skippy said...

Always look on the bright side of life.