Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Confidence Of Skill And Talent

Last night I watched a rehearsal for a show in which some of my friends are involved. Some are performing on stage, while the others are directing the show or the music. Even though it's almost a week and a half until it opens, they are at a level that engaged me in the show and I enjoyed watching it in rehearsal stage without the lights, set and costumes. If you are near the Richmond VA area, go see the Henrico Theatre Company's presentation of "A Day In Hollywood, A Night In The Ukraine." It opens on July 10 and runs for 3 weekends.

I've had the opportunity to work with a lot of talented professionals in theatre over the years. The really good ones keep it together and never lose their cool. As a result, they produce a spectacular product. That's why I enjoyed watching the talent of my friends last night. If they made a mistake, they knew it, they fixed it, and they moved on. They have the skill and confidence to know they can follow that process.

That's why I don't have all that much anxiety about my upcoming hospital stay. I will be in the hands of people with skill and talent. It's the part after the hospital stay, where I will have to surrender my independence to others with skill and talent, that is the cause for some anxiety. Don't take that the wrong way. I'm going to have to learn a new way of thinking about assessing my condition. Between myself and those who are helping me, we'll develop new skills and talents to assess whatever situation presents itself. Fortunately, there will be guidelines from the folks at MCV to help with the process. I don't have any anxiety about anyone who has volunteered to help after I come home from the hospital. They will take care of me better than they take care of themselves. I will have to allow myself to be more of an audience member than being a part of the production at first.

This was playing on my car's CD player last night after I left the rehearsal.

"When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I never needed anybody's help in any way.
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors." - The Beatles

God is talented.

1 comment:

skippy said...

First! And He has an awesome stereo!