Friday, August 28, 2009

At Least It Was Memorable

Got the PICC-Quinton port removed yesterday. The procedure SHOULD have taken about 5-15 minutes, but I guess my body decided against it. The line itself was implanted pretty deep and also there was scar tissue that required a little extra work in the removal. I took the formation of the scar tissue as a sign that my body was healthy and did a good job of repairing itself after the port was inserted back in early July. The procedure took about 45 minutes and required the assistance of a second person to remove it. I came out of it without a port that I don't have to look at anymore and that I don't have to flush every night. I'm greatful for that.

From my clinic appointment, the nurse practitioner told me I was coming along well. After yesterday, I am down to two medications (one that I take daily and one that I take on Mondays and Tuesdays only). My next appointment is on Tuesday and I will be allowed to drive myself to that appointment. In addition, pending insurance company approval, I may be released back to my regular oncologist who I will look forward to seeing as well as the rest of the gang that works with her. I'm not so sure they will be looking forward to it, but they are good actors and will make me feel welcome to be back with them.

I'm still on "house arrest" but I know that if I remain on good behavior a little while longer, payoff day will come soon. I do have questions about re-immunizations and the threat of the H1N1 thing and will get those answers from my regular oncologist. When I know those answers, I will fill you in.

No comments: