Monday, August 31, 2009

Making Peace With The Bandage

There's a bandage over the spot where they removed the port on Thursday. I have to keep an eye on it for any bleeding and stuff. It's really not something I enjoy doing, but so far, so good. Due to the tenderness of the area, I had to sleep on my back the first couple of nights. Those of you who have had serious wounds, surgery, etc. are saying, "Cry me a river!" I normally sleep (and sleep well) on my right side. Combining the sleep position with weaning myself off of the sleeping pills, made for some interesting sleep. Then Saturday night.....I was able to lean onto my right side and sleep well until.....Sunday AM I was awakened by the sound of silence at 6:50AM. I normally run a ceiling fan and a window AC unit on hotter evenings and neither of them were functioning when I woke up due to a local power outage.

It was already an exciting morning as it was the first time since mid July that I was permitted to leave the house and go get a Sunday paper on my own. Which I did. My liberation and freedom is coming in small doses for now, but I'll take it. I brought the paper home and in the midst of reading it, the power came back on.

All is well. Clinic visit tomorrow and hopefully some good news to come from that.

"When Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, 'tis like the morn in Spring.
In the lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing.
When Irish hearts are happy,
All the world seems bright and gay.
And when Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, they steal your heart away."

Lyrics - Chauncey Olcott and George Graff, Jr. Music - Enerst Ball.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Enjoy your return to a normal life. Well, as normal and you or I can hope to achieve. I hope your power is on Saturday evening!

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog while typing with one hand 'cause I'm holding 23 day old Baby Maggie. I'm with you on getting some sleep. Looking forward to you meeting Maggie!!