Friday, August 21, 2009

Challenging The Bunny

My blood work may not be the equivalent of the Energizer Bunny's strength, but they continue to climb. Platelets are reaching the point where I would be permitted to drive locally. Next week, they will start scheduling me for clinic twice weekly (i.e. if all things continue to improve). I may go sit in the car this weekend and start it up, just for old times sake.

Today, Mr. Bo Baker got his last scheduled chemo treatment and then headed for the beach with his parents. Lucky dog. Jay, who I've worked with in community theatre here in Richmond, needs to be kept in your thoughts and prayers as he is having some complications. A client of mine in DC told me the other day about a friend of his who was recently diagnosed with a form of lymphoma. They are waiting for tests and results to come back to determine how to move forward.

Skippy news: As part of his job, he is now in Baghdad for the next year. He will get to come home every few months, but will be away from his family and friends for that length of time. He'll appreciate any good thoughts you will send his way. I wasn't able to toast his departure, but I look forward to toasting his return.

There is a lady at clinic who was getting stem cells collected the same time I had mine collected. The second day of collection, she said to me, "So, you are a Non-Hodgkins victim also." I told her I wasn't a victim of anything. One of my life creeds is, "I don't pick fights, but you shouldn't pick one with me." My clinic friend has had a tougher fight with Non-Hodgkins then myself as she was diagnosed in December 2007 and had a recurrence. As a person being treated for a similar cancer, when you hear that kind of information, you get a little nervous about the future. However, every day you wake up is another day of life.

I don't know what's ahead physically tomorrow, the day after, next week, next month, etc. I know what's ahead mentally. Trust me, I will out drum the battery operated rabbit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crazy rabbit. Trix are for kids!

Anonymous said...

Of course you will outdrum the rabbit. The tortoise, or rather terrapin, always catches the hare.

- Judith