Monday, August 24, 2009

True Story

The final Sunday that I was in the hospital, two friends of mine from Apex NC came to visit me. On their way home, near Petersburg VA, they were passing a car towing a trailer full of furniture. As they approached the car, a couch sitting on the trailer came off the trailer and "skated" across their lane in front of their car. My friend said she lightly tapped on the brakes and let the couch pass in front of them and come to a stop in the lane to the right of them. My friend said she stayed pretty calm about it during and afterwards. She credits the fact that she is a breast cancer survivor and things like that don't get to her as much anymore. She said the real shame was that it was a really nice couch.

I gotta say that I can understand my friend's outlook on things. I told someone the other week that chemo also removed my stress cells and I really don't have time for stress anymore in my life. Someone else asked me about how I hope to maintain what they perceived as a different attitude in me. I told them that I would be under a 5 year attitude adjustment plan as I would be monitored for the next 5 years for recurrence of cancer. I believe having an attitude of not giving it permission to come back will be a big factor.

Today at 1PM I have another clinic appointment. Here's to hoping that I will be given permission to start driving again and that I will be able to drive myself to clinic appointments. Other than that, there aren't a whole lot of other places I'll be allowed to go by myself. Also, I should hear something this week about the time frame for the removal of the port that the folks at MCV access (known as a Quinton Port). The time frame for the removal of the Power Port (the port that was used for all of the previous chemo treatments) will be established by my regular oncologist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes, yet another bad news story about Petersburg. What does it take to get some good press? Be careful on your first drive in the car. During my convalescence, someone moved all my mirrors in my car and not noticing it, I backed, gently fortunately, right into my mother's car. :-) She was a good sport about it.

- Judith