Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Getting There

Still feeling good 3 weeks after I was released from the hospital. Playing by the rules to keep myself from getting any infections, etc.

Let me tell you, the next time you even think about saying, "I wouldn't mind having some time off from work to just sit around, watch TV and movies all day," you should stop yourself before you finish the thought. Even though I am able to do some work, the days get pretty long.

Unless, it was like yesterday. What started as a day that the only thing scheduled was a friend coming over in the evening to do some cleaning (and of course a very fun visit), turned into a day of fun visits by several people. Typically, I regard Tuesday as a useless day in the week. Monday starts the week. Wednesday is "hump day." Thursday is the day before Friday and Friday...is Friday. Who doesn't like Friday? But yesterday was a great day because of all the visits and thanks to all who came by. Again, the visits are as good as some of the medicines I've been taking. The reason they are good is that when you are released from the hospital, as the information sheets from the hospital state, you feel a little vulnerable. Especially the first couple of days after you no longer have caregivers around for 24 hours a day. Even though you look forward to getting your independence back and work towards being able to do all the things you were able to do in the past, there is still the anxiety of being unattended. I think a lot of that has to do with the axiom of "It takes 30 days to change a habit." Prior to last week, I had spent more than 30 days being attended to and when that dynamic changed, it required a new set of habits. Good news: Getting there and am getting annoyed that there still are some things I can't do even though I feel like I can.

This too, shall pass. I am closer to the end of all this than I am the beginning. First and goal!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! My six weeks at home about killed me. I am glad you are having plenty of visitors. They were a lifesave to me too. I wish I could be one of them, but it's not in the cards right now.

- Judith