Monday, January 19, 2009

Algebra Revisited

I never made friends with algebra. Being of a right brain configuration, geometry and I got along better due to the visual nature of geometry.

In spite of that, I feel the need to make an algebraic statement today. "C" does not have to ever equal "D."

A breast cancer survivor friend of mine, from Keezletown VA and I came up with that equation yesterday.

To clarify, "C" (cancer) does not guarantee "D"(dying). Another friend of mine asked me about my outlook on death the other day and my response was, "I am alive today. That is what matters."

My prognosis is good. I know there are others that are not. What is key is that no matter the prognosis of ANY given situation, "D" doesn't have to be the focus. For now, the word is "life" (the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.- source, Dictionary.com).

Ok, enough of that.

Paddy was driving down the street in a sweat because he had an important meeting and couldn't find a parking place. Looking up to heaven he said, 'Lord take pity on me. If you find me a parking place I will go to Mass every Sunday for the rest of me life and give up me Irish Whiskey!'

Miraculously, a parking place appeared.

Paddy looked up again and said, 'Never mind, I found one.'

1 comment:

Benton Oakes said...

Remarkable outlook on life, Greg. The joke made me laugh out loud (I'm reading it over and over). I guess sometimes it's finding pleasure in the simple things.