Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Thinking about some things after a friend of mine called me last night and told me she was fallout from downsizing at her company. She was handling it with grace and was looking forward to what was ahead of her. She is considering a career change and I believe that no matter what she does, her new employer is in for a treat.

I heard Thomas Friedman speak at The Richmond Forum, and in his talk he addressed the concern of offshoring jobs. He said (and I paraphrase), "Quit worrying about offshoring of jobs. Focus on innovation of new ones that only America can produce. This has always been a country of innovation. Why stop now?" That's what I like about my friend's attitude towards her situation. She's looking ahead to what is in front of her.

I was recounting to some coworkers yesterday how prior to "the alien," I would think how I needed to change my life mentally and physically. One of them responded, "It's amazing how the body gets your attention isn't it?" It's an amazing contraption these bodies of ours and they WILL get our attention. Trust me on that. I also remember when my sister-in-law was pregnant with her first child and she had several pregnancy books sitting around. I was reading one that explained all of the changes that would go on in her body while she was pregnant. While fascinating, I think my initial response was, "No way is that happening in there!"

One of my favorite mantras is "That which is not natural, is not permanent." That which IS natural is pretty cool. I like change. I embrace it. I like the changes the "alien" has brought about. I will especially like the one that eliminates it from my body.

"Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Don't want to be a richer man
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time" - David Bowie

No comments: