Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jan 15 - Part Deux (vs. Duh)

Here you go from today. The CAT scan showed good stuff. The liver and spleen are now "moderately enlarged" vs. being really enlarged before. There is evidence that the bad lymph glands are going away. The alien itself is smaller. Being of a right brain configuration, I didn't get the measurements, but it is getting smaller. There are no fluids in me at all (i.e. the ones that get generated when there is an infection in the body). I am very happy about that as that was rough going in the early stages. There was lots of weird swelling. Platelet counts are still good. I am still anemic (and will be until the treatments are done), so I still got that "stay away from colds/influenza" thing going.

The scenario moving forward is this: Still going with 6-8 treatments. After the 6th treatment (I've completed 4), there will be another CAT scan to determine what's left/next. It could involve 2 more chemo treatments or it could involve a chemo/stem cell regimen.

Questions I had for the doctor were (by the way, I have her referring to my mass as "the alien." How cool is that?):#1 What's up with this cough? A- It is the result of chemo creating a sinus drip that goes into my lungs and causes me to cough. The coughs aren't all that frequent, so it's tolerable. It's good to know that's all it is. #2 Are there still restrictions on travel? A-Nope. Let my body be my judge. If I am feeling tired, I need to pull over and rest. There is no need to travel with someone else in the car. I plan to make a trip north to DC in 2 weeks to see some clients. I will do it as a two day trip, just to spread it out. I may fit a weekend trip to Kitty Hawk or someplace, just to breathe some salt air. #3 - Can I please start taking my sleep aid pills again (My sleep patterns are that I sleep in 45-60 minute segments and then I wake up and go back to sleep. I have slept 2-3 hours straight, but that is rare.)? A- Yes, feel free to start experiencing better sleeping through chemistry.

Chemo visit overall was great. Two theatre friends (who shall remain nameless) showed up dressed as Rockettes and did a little tap number and brought joy to all of the room. There are pictures, but I won't post them here until they say it's OK. Another friend who had never experienced the chemo room drove me today and he also was impressed and surprised at the personality of the room. Have I said before how amazing the chemo nurses are?

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oy, Oy, Oy

Waltzing matilda Waltzing matilda
Who'll come a waltzing matilda with me?
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boilled,
Who'll come a waltzing matilda with me?

3 comments:

skippy said...

First! Maybe we can exhale a little. Sounds like good news all around. Nice to know where that cough is coming from....

Anonymous said...

Great news Greg. I want to see the pics.
- Judith

erinnicole said...

"it's just a cough"

:)