Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This Might Be Some Clarification

Got this from the website of my caregivers (http://www.vacancer.com/Content.aspx?Section=supportresources&DocumentID=18852):

The Gift of Cancer
You may encounter the phrase, “The gift of cancer.” It may take some time, but you may come to see it this way,

After you’ve been frozen in your tracks with the diagnosis, perhaps sometime during the treatment period - or maybe even months after your recovery, you will discover “the gift.” Every crisis contains the seed of opportunity. Open your spirit as you would open the earth to plant a flower’s seed. Give yourself permission. If you will allow yourself, you can find beauty in any beast, even cancer.

Each person’s “gift” differs. Cancer may be your opportunity to discover a community of caring, compassion and love made up of fellow cancer patients, sensitive counselors and dear, dear friends. The resounding grace of these individuals impacts the very essence of the human spirit. You may feel totally unprepared for the unconditional love that is available during your encounters with members of your healing community. If your own support system is small, reach out to a cancer support group (This is where I have been fortunate. My support system has been amazing!).

I have mentioned that I have been credited with a great attitude through this. My support system, my belief in the strength of the human spirit that is supplemented by belief in the purpose of being alive, inspirational writings I have read in the past and new ones I have been introduced to, and the gift of appreciating good humor has been my lifeblood through this.

In spite of being credited with a good attitude, I still get cranky. Things make me cranky. I realize that some of my crankiness is permitted and some of it I have to accept that I cannot change some things make me cranky. I'll work on it. The doctor said I can use the term "Chemo Brain" when I puzzle those around me.

Chemo Brain + Idealism = Cranky Frustration.

Poem for Hope
A Hong Kong Proverb

As long as we have hope,
we have direction,
the energy to move,
and the map to move by.
We have a hundred alternatives,
a thousand paths and infinity of dreams.
Hopeful, we are halfway to where we want to go;
Hopeless, we are lost forever. -
by Catherine Pulsifer

1 comment:

skippy said...

First! In some ways, all of life's challenges are gifts and cancer can be counted amoung them. If life is a gift, and I think that's an easy one to agree on, then all of the things that come with life are a part of that gift, cancer included.

Remembering that there is hope in each day is an important part of enjoying that gift.