Friday, January 30, 2009

Going Up Always Took Longer Than Coming Down

Driving between Warrenton VA and Fredericksburg VA yesterday, I watched a kid sled riding. I almost pulled over to ask if I could take a run with him, but I am under doctor's orders to not engage in any physical activity that will inflict injury resulting in cuts and bleeding.


I remembered sled riding as a kid (we had some pretty awesome hills where we grew up) and the effort of pulling the sled back up to the top. As I recall, going back up the hill fell into three chronological segments. 1) The afterglow of the ride down and what I was going to do to make the next one better. 2) The part of huffing and puffing up the hill and wondering why we had created such a long sled run and that there really was no shortcut other than straight up the hill. 3) Looking down and realizing I was almost back at the top, which generated the thrill of knowing the next run down was imminent.


Someone asked me a great question yesterday. They asked, "What has been the most dramatic change in you since you were diagnosed with "the rat/alien?" I told them, "Physically, it's been the weight loss. Mentally, I no longer have any room in my life for negativity. I hope I can maintain that attitude and lose more of both in myself." The trick is focusing more on the #1 and #3 of the sled riding experience.


The following lyrics were playing on my radio as I passed the kid on the sled yesterday.


Why in the world are we here?

Surely not to live in pain and fear.

Why on Earth are you there?

When you're everywhere.

Gonna get your share.

Well, we all shine on.

Like the moon and the stars and the sun.

Yeah, we all shine on.

C'mon and on and on, on, on - "Instant Karma," John Lennon

1 comment:

skippy said...

First! Shine on, Crazy Diamond.