Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Two Words

Independence and Discipline. I will be challenged by both of them over the next few months. My independence will be challenged because, as the Pre Transplant Coordinator told me yesterday, "You will have to count on people to do things for you." I will pass those things onto you over the next week or so in the event you want to be one of those folks who get to help and also watch the fun of my independence being challenged.

The other word, discipline will require that I adhere faithfully to the regimen that will be given me. No cutting corners, no fooling around. I've been pretty good about that so far and found out yesterday that I've done better with some things that I really needed to. Another thing that will tax my discipline is the requirement to complain as needed. I don't mean that in a negative sense. However, the Pre Transplant Coordinator told me that I need to let them know that if anything feels different vs. trying to tough out symptoms. If I have a headache, I have to let them know. The reason is because symptoms that seem like they can be tolerated can turn into something larger that could be a bigger issue if I don't let the caregivers know something feels odd.

Hunter had a big day yesterday with some scans to monitor his progress and also some stronger chemo than he has received so far. I'll keep you posted. His parents have to drive a couple of hours every time he has to get treatment. That's hard.

1 comment:

skippy said...

First! Two other words.

Crash: You gotta play this game with fear and arrogance.

Nuke: Fear and ignorance.

Crash: No. Fear and arrogance, you, hayseed, not ignorance!