Sunday, June 7, 2009

Blood Edumacation

A friend asked the other day what caused my blood counts to be low after chemotherapy. Good question. I must be learning a lot because I gave him an answer without consulting my doctor that was pretty accurate. Below, is information taken directly from the website (www.vacancer.com) of the clinic where I am being treated.

"A reduced number of blood cells in circulation is a common side effect of chemotherapy. Blood is composed of three basic blood cell types: red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Blood cells are produced in the bone marrow and regularly released into circulation. Chemotherapy destroys rapidly dividing cells, a characteristic of cancer cells. However, bone marrow cells also divide rapidly and are frequently damaged by chemotherapy. Blood counts are monitored with a laboratory test called a Complete Blood Count (CBC). The best way to treat low blood counts is to prevent them before they occur. This can be accomplished with the administration of blood cell growth factors. In some circumstances, blood transfusions may also be necessary."

They do administer blood cell growth factors to me the day after chemo, but this chemo recipe is having more effect on my counts, particularly on my white cell counts and platelet counts. That is why I have had to get some transfusions.

My friend also asked if I had any physical signs of low cell counts. With low white and platelet counts, there are no signs. There would be some physical signs if my red counts were low. Ain't it something how the body works?

More info is available at:http://www.vacancer.com/Content.aspx?Section=cancertreatment&DocumentID=23114

If the link doesn't work (which for some reason, blogspot has been uncooperative in letting me create links), copy and paste the address into your explorer address window.

No comments: