Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Maybe, Just Maybe

Yesterday, my friends at MCV verified that I will not have to have a bone marrow biopsy as part of the pretesting day of fun next week. Yee hah! The official day of Thanksgiving is in November I know, but p'scuse us cancer patients for having random Thanksgiving Days throughout the year.

Leaving in a little while to go get bloodwork to check on the platelets. Trying to figure out ways to sway the results. They scheduled me early (8:50AM) so that if I need platelets, I could be done by mid day and then go to work. If I wear clothes for work, that would be my way of telling the platelets to get their numbers up, I got stuff to do. I could also use reverse psychology and wear some comfortable clothing (like my Penguin jersey and a pair of jeans) and be mentally prepared to stay and have an excuse for a Thanksgiving celebration if I don't need platelets. Also, if I go casual it takes the stress off the Nurse Practitioner as she will see my attire and know I am mentally good with needing an infusion. OK, those of you who really know me get that it's really all about wanting to wear the Penguin jersey since they did force a game 7 last night. I'll take work clothing along so that I can change clothes and go to work at whatever time I get there.

I watched a feature on "The Today Show" yesterday about the financial impact of cancer. Their "teaser" caught my attention as they presented a family that had insurance but still had to declare bankruptcy. Even though Dr. Nancy Snyderman (whose credentials I seriously question) tied it up with some suggestions at the end, I don't think there were enough specifics about the families involved. Unless I am in for a big surprise, my insurance coverage has been more than adequate I will say that this whole thing has not been without the need to be careful with finances. However, as a good friend said, "I'd like to know what made the folks involved in The Today Show story feel like they were stuck on an island without support."

Personally, I can internalize things and sometimes hold things in. I have been blessed with some good friends that I have confided in during all of this and as a result, have been able to see the finish line without as much angst between me and it as one would think.

I can see the finish line and I know there is still some competition in front of me that I have to beat but I'm thinking I am still the crowd favorite in this race. I'm on a bit of a roll this week and if I don't need platelets today, I may be tempted to buy a lottery ticket. I'm just sayin.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Go Penguins!! A co-worker is routing for the Red Wings so I am having fun giving him a hard time. He is a Steelers fan, but has bailed on the Penguins so I told him he is not a true Pittsburgh fan unless he routes for all the home teams. Where is the loyalty these days?! :-)