Friday, June 12, 2009

Stuff For Today

Bo has a scheduled visit to the clinic today and he is not a big fan of having his port accessed (i.e. when they stick the needle in the port to administer his medication). I understand. I always turn my head when they do that to me. I still think of him every time I remove the bandage that they put on me after my port is accessed. Heck, I've even gotten to the point where it's not a mental thing anymore. The day after I have been "stuck," I remove the bandage and say, "Thanks Bo for teaching me how to be a big boy about this."

My friend Jay is having a bit of a tough time. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

I'm going to take Saturday, Sunday and Monday off. Nothing much to chat about until after the pretesting day on Monday. Will fill you in on those details on Tuesday morning. FYI: Next week's schedule is pretesting on Monday, a check in with the Nurse Practitioner on Tuesday and a visit with the doctor on Thursday. The following week is a follow up meeting with the folks at MCV on Monday and then pending appts. based on the pretesting results and how they schedule me for stem cell collection and being admitted. I won't know that until the week after next. Most likely, I would be admitted somewhere near the end of this month. When I know those details, I will pass them on.

I recently read an article about professionalism and friendliness as it applies to sales people. The article spoke about how clients appreciate those who are friendly vs. those who reek of professionalism and polish. It mentioned that the "professional" is perceived as slick and insincere. I believe the article spoke to the very heart of my affection for the doctor, nurses and staff that I have met at the clinic, the hospital and at MCV. Getting to know them and know that they have a genuine friendly concern for my well being makes this "fun" an enriching experience. It blows my mind when I walk into the clinic or hospital and we all share smiles and laughs. There ARE some GOOD people out there.

Get to know them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the hockey win!
Lisa

skippy said...

I have to disagree with equating professionalism with slick and insincere. If what you are trying to convey as professional behavior comes off to your client as insincere, you aren't doing it right. A big part of being a true professional is establishing a rapport with your client. Often friendliness at its most basic level is a good way to establish that rapport. If you're insincere, there's no rapport and you are not a good professional.

Have a good few days off. I'll miss your posts.

Greg said...

Skippy, I probably didn't do a good job in making my point. You will agree that friendliness should be the root of professionalism. Humanity comes first, all other things should build on that. Friendliness comes from respecting humanity as it is without ulterior motives for one's self.