Saturday, June 6, 2009

Good Info, Goofy Hat

Bought two multicolored baseball hats with a propeller on top of them to take to the clinic yesterday. There is a lady at central check in (for those of you who know the story, she's not THAT lady) who always asks where my hat is when I'm not wearing one. I stopped by to show her the propeller hat. She was amused. I bought the second one to give to a random person in the waiting room who looked like they were having a bad day. Before I got to the clinic, I was stopped in the hospital hallway by a lady who said she wanted to get a hat like that. Winner, winner, chicken dinner for her. She got the second one and I left my hat in the clinic for them to give to a patient having a bad day.

There was no need for a platelet infusion yesterday as I was 46 points above the minimum level of 20. I have an appt. scheduled for Monday and the Nurse Practitioner and I made predictions for where my counts would be on Monday. She guessed 35 (bless her heart, a level of 35 would not require a platelet infusion) and I guessed 19, which would require an infusion. I guessed low just so she'd know I would be mentally accepting of a platelet infusion and that I wouldn't be cranky about it. However, this lady knows her stuff and if she's correct, it's a loss I'll gladly take.

I recently read a book that was given to me titled, "The Cancer Conqueror" by Greg Anderson. It speaks of the mental aspect of being diagnosed and treated for cancer.I recommended it to the Nurse Practitioner. She purchased a copy of it and gave it to a patient that was having a tough time. I liked the book because it was not about a specific cancer case, but rather the big picture of having a good attitude and how to develop and sustain it. There are a lot of well intentioned, case specific books out there, but I can't recommend them because they are case specific. Each cancer diagnosis is unique to the individual and attaching your cancer to another person's specific case can create confusion. Same thing for surfing the internet for information.

No comments: