Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Carolina Boys

Hunter had some scans on Monday (the medical folks like to call that "restaging") to see how things are going. His scans came back clean, so he is progressing along with his treatments without having to change anything.

Bo is moving ahead with his treatments, enjoying summer day camp and enjoying just about everything.

One thing that is difficult for the parents of these little guys, and also for me, is that you know you have to be careful not to contract any germs, etc. and yet you do have the freedom to be out and about. However, if I am out and about and I hear a stranger cough anywhere near me, I get a little anxious about it. You may say, "The solution is to not be out and about." Since having a good attitude is such a significant part of the getting well process, you have to do some things to make your day enjoyable and not feel like the Boy In The Plastic Bubble.

Some folks have said. "Wow, I can't believe you are going to work everyday." Let me tell you, if it wasn't for that and having something else to focus on everyday, I would be admitted to a different kind of hospital.

On another note, I left my patient binder behind at the hospital the other day (Chemo Brain) and picked it up yesterday. Once I absorb some more of it in the next few days, for everyone who has asked how they can help, I will start posting information and approximate time frames. In addition, I will set up a calendar that will allow you to sign up for "help activities."

On Monday, as she was going over the list of things that I would need, The Pre-Transplant Coordinator could see the look in my face of "How am I going to repay all these people for their kindness?" She said, "It's OK Greg, you'll repay it all someday." I told her I probably wouldn't because I am a very shallow person. She laughed and said, "Oh yes you will." I think her response was somewhere between being affirmative and a command.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

No comments: