Monday, June 1, 2009

Seeing Past The Storm

When I lived in the Shenandoah Valley, on certain days you could look west and see snow on the ridges of the mountains while at the same time the sun was out and the sky was blue in the expanse of the valley. Sometimes, you could see storm clouds rolling over the mountains, and know what was coming or that the mountains were providing a windbreak of sorts. In the meantime, I would continue on to work, or if it was a weekend, continue with whatever tasks or errands were before me. I was not going to be concerned with the weather on the horizon until it reached me.

I would like to say that is how I have addressed this cancer thing. As a patient you wonder what is next as far as reactions to treatments. Especially when you know that some chemo treatments are cumulative and the reaction to the first treatment may not be the same as the reaction to the second. OR, you become amazed by the fact that your body can recover from the treatment and that you can put yourself in a mental place to deal with it.

So...the next few weeks, I will be in better mental shape to deal with whatever platelet infusions are required. I made a vow to my Nurse Practitioner to not be cranky about it. I will go to the day of pretesting at MCV knowing that it is one step closer to the end of all this. A comment I have been making to myself lately is, "You are closer to the end of all of this than you are to when it all started." The part of it that gets in your head is that the final portion of this is like being down a goal and facing the other team's power play in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final (had to get that hockey reference in there). At that point, why shrug the shoulders and quit? I've gotten this far, it would seem a waste to not finish the game.

Cinderella Story

1 comment:

skippy said...

First. Love the title of the post.