Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I Say She Won

Before the Nurse Practitioner walked into the exam room yesterday I heard her say, "He guessed 19 and I guessed 35, so he was the closest." She came in and said that the platelet count was 25, so I was the closest and I won. I told her she won because the platelet count wasn't low enough to require an infusion and that I was willing to concede that part to her. I go back in on Wednesday and expect that the counts will be in the teens. However, we'll see. If not, they'll think I'm really cool.

Overheard over the loudspeaker system at an airport, "Will the person who lost their hearing aid, please come to the ticket counter and claim their hearing aid?"

Here's a way to help cancer patients that you may not have thought of. Most first time chemo patients have a long day and are there most of the day. They are so focused on the chemo treatment that they don't realize that they may get hungry during the day. Ask your friend or family member if you can pack a lunch or snacks for them when they go for chemo treatment. A friend of mine stopped at a deli on her way in to see me during chemo the other week and we had quite the feast. It saved me from having to worry about making a lunch to take.

Got a voice mail from MCV yesterday about some questions they had in advance of my bone marrow biopsy next week. That was a bit of a surprise as I just had one the other week and was thinking I was done with them. I don't mind them...really...but they aren't my favorite test. I'm thinking if there is one next week, there should be some sort of award. Like a Bone Marrow Biopsy Hat Trick (sorry for the hockey reference again) Prize or something.

1 comment:

skippy said...

First. I think you are pretty cool no matter what your platelet count!