Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Meeting Grace

I used to think when I said the words, "Let me know if there is anything I can do," I was giving a hollow response to an event. Not any more. The fact is, some people don't know what to do at times and it's OK to ask them directly for help. In addition, there are questions that are asked of me that initially seemed a little odd, but I have learned that there are questions that can help me process and address what is in front of me.

I have learned from a nurse friend how to ask for help from other nurses. I have learned that it is no one's fault if I need to change treatment recipes, drugs or require infusions of blood/platelets. I am learning to "wait well" and not count on the schedule that I have created for future treatments. I have learned that if someone wants to come visit and they postpone the visit because they aren't feeling well, or have the slightest sign of not feeling well, that it is because they are looking out for my health and well being.

With that said, there is nothing that cannot be said or asked. I will cringe a little bit if I hear "doctor talk." There are some things that I will leave in the hands of the doctors and nurses.

Grace has visited often since I was diagnosed. She doesn't come to visit every day, but comes back to visit when she is needed the most.

1 comment:

skippy said...

First! I like Grace. She's sweet. I have to remember to invite her around here more often.