Friday, December 5, 2008

I Hope I Get This Write (err, I mean Right)

From the movie, "Arthur" that a friend of mine and I watched during chemo yesterday:
[Arthur suddenly laughs uproariously]
Gloria: Why are you laughing now?
Arthur: Sometimes I just think funny things.

I didn't know where to put the humor today, so I thought I'd do it first.

I'm thinking about a news story out of Wake Co. NC that has affected my friends that live there. The story involves 4 teens who have been charged with murder of another teen. The story is unfortunate in that the 4 teens had labeled themselves as "outcasts." None of us know what events brought on this label they gave themselves and none of us have a right to judge them. The event does bring to light the power of positive communication.

I remember a "barn cat" that came to live in our barn one fall while I was a farmboy growing up. The cat would stand at the top of the hayloft and watch us each night as we fed the cattle below. I started having a conversation with the cat each night (telling it about my day, asking about it's day) and would work myself closer to it (if only inches at a time) each day. I have no idea how long it took to eventually be able to get close enough to pet it (and maybe I did sneak food out to it), but it did happen. The following spring, the cat had kittens and I remember playing with them in the barn and recalling how the relationship with the mother cat began and being amazed how it all transpired.

It all began with positive conversation. I was having a conversation with a client friend the other day we talked about how the most powerful tool in the world is our brain and how we only use a small fraction of it. No one will ever confuse me with Norman Vincent Peale, but as I have gotten older, I realize I have no time for negativity. Come with solutions to challenges. Ask how you can help alleviate pain. I gave blood platelets because I realized that even though I wanted to write a big check to cancer research, I couldn't. At the recommendation of a co-worker who was already donating platelets, I decided to give of myself instead and not once did I regret it.

Don't judge the kids in NC. Send them your thoughts and prayers and during that time, ask for insight on how you can be aware of the same type of situations where you live. Realize that as one person you can't fix it on your own, but also realize the power of positive conversation that you have the gift of delivering, in all parts of your life.

I'll never forget that cat in the barn.

P.S. I promised medical information. Still on the disabled list. Stomach distention going down, a bit anemic (part of the process), allowed to do some light exercise, no neck pain last night due to new memory foam pillows that I'm using. Hiccups back due to medicine I take for 3 days after chemo (hiccups beat the alternative).

2 comments:

Sarah said...

As an RN, it's amazing how much better patients and their families respond to you when you actually *talk* to them instead of just throwing pills as them. Funnily enough, they're usually a lot more willing to do what you'd like them to... ;)

Anonymous said...

Greg the 'tude you display is truly remarkable. More folk should emulate. Being positively funny with meaningful words of courage and enlightenment are a blessing to all who embrace true character.