Friday, December 26, 2008

Joyous Boxing Day (and other stuff)

Just in case you the Boxing Day thing has you flummoxed: http://www.calendar-updates.com/info/holidays/canada/boxing.aspx

I had another chemo treatment on Christmas Eve and the amount of time it takes is being compressed due to my being able to take the bigger doses of it when it is being injected. When you first receive chemo, they drip it in through the port in small doses (you still get the same amount every time you go), to determine at what level of volume you can tolerate. The first time I went in, I didn't finish until about 5PM. The second one finished at 4PM and I was done the other day at 3PM. I'm on the 5 day steroid regimen and feeling well and also the 3 day "hiccup" drug regimen that ends today and let me tell you, I'm winning the battle of hiccups this time. I only had one episode of hiccups in the middle of the night last night and I promptly told them to leave me alone and let me go back to sleep. My command was honored. The day after I come off the steroids, I have been OK in the AM, but the afternoon has usually been a washout. We'll see what comes this time.

The chemo nurses also told me that my oncologist and nurse practitioner are ecstatic with my progress and I wasn't to worry about the weight loss (I am now 68 lbs. lighter than I was on November 4 - again, alot of it was fluids and "the alien"), and that I am doing well in their eyes.
So...I'll wait until the results of the CAT scan on Jan 13 to see exactly what is going on with the alien, spleen and liver. Blood work numbers are good and platelet numbers continue to improve. Hopefully, some of that is the effect of chemo. I get a Neulasta injection (to help stimulate platelet production) the day after my chemo treatment (however, this time I get it today since yesterday was Christmas) and that is also helping with platelet production.

Took a two mile walk yesterday. Felt great! Today, I am going to do some weight lifting and also some yard work in a bit. The caregivers are encouraging any and all physical activity I can get in.

Had some Preston County,WV Buckwheat cakes for breakfast yesterday, today and will have some tomorrow. That's some good energy food!

1 comment:

RERC said...

Hey Greg, I thought of you all through Christmas Eve. Glad to hear your numbers look good and that you're getting activity in!

I went for a two-mile hike with my family yesterday also. Since it was Boxing Day, we checked on some of my letterboxes in the woods. (www.letterboxing.org). I go by the name of Wood Thrush.

I preach tomorrow! Becky