Wednesday, December 24, 2008

"Sure Charlie Brown, I Can Tell You What Christmas Is All About."

Said Linus to Charlie Brown when Charlie asked "Isn't there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?"

I was going to post my "Christmas Epistle" that I wrote a few years ago in response to a newspaper editorial that bemoaned the need to wish "Happy Holidays" in order to be politically correct. However, I could not find it in any of my files. Since it is over 500 words, I took it as a sign that I can present it in a short synopsis (since one of my friends complimented me on the brevity of my blog posts). I will preface it with the fact that I was raised in the Christian tradition of observing Christmas and adhere to that tradition. However.........

1) The Christmas observance has taken on traditions of other cultures and traditions throughout the ages. It wasn't until the mid 1800's that it was recognized as an official holiday in the United States.

2) Christmas isn't mine to keep. It is mine to give away.

3) Christmas isn't over at 11:59PM on December 25. Christmas "starts" on December 25.

4) I believe society is being called to bridge the gaps. When the blending of observances occurred in the past (as mentioned in item 1), history didn't relate the gnashing of teeth and civil unrest.

5) Some day, when we all have the opportunity to gaze upon the Creator of this world, I believe we will see a figure that will seem familiar and yet will be very strange to us in that we could never imagined such a figure. We will stand in amazement at what we see and question It's origin. At that point we will hear, "You could have done the same, I gave you all of the ingredients."

6) Unless I know how a specific individual observes the holidays, I will wish "Happy Holidays" with all the joy of the season I observe. That's how I give away Christmas.

May all the joys, hope, desires and peace of the holiday you observe be yours until you get to meet the Creator of this world!

"That's what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown."

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I think I have a copy of that letter! I will search for it.

RERC said...

Greg, I wanted to make sure I wished you a merry Christmas today! I am glad you put the synopsis of your "holiday invective" up on your blog. It has always given me a lot to think about.
Will be thinking of you throughout the day.

Becky @ ISR

Anonymous said...

Let me add my Merry Christmas to you (or happy holidays, you pick). As for your hair, my bet is curly (that's how mine came in) and not quite in the color you remember. Speaking of which, and this is IMPORTANT. I also broke your rule and looked up info on lymphona (but since I couldn't remember your alien's first name -- or was it last -- it didn't tell me much.) But in a site listing causes it said that lymphona had a "twenty year history linking it to black hair dye"! Does it have to be Amy-Winehouse -shoe-polish-black or does that also apply to medium golden brown? This is crucial; find out.
Have a wonderful Christmas and you are truly blessed with loving friends. Hope you get new clothes under the tree.
Lisa from DC (actually, Lake Ridge)