Friday, December 12, 2008

A Neat Conversation




Through my job, and our association with The Richmond Forum, I have had an opportunity to hear and meet some of the speakers presented by The Richmond Forum. In 1998, I had the opportunity to meet and have a conversation with Prime Minister Shimon Peres of Israel (the picture is from our meeting). I was struck how comfortable he made myself and my 3 other friends feel. At the end of the conversation we were awestruck and yet we said to each other, "It was like having a conversation with a favorite uncle." Later on, as he spoke to the crowd, we knew we saw the real man during our conversation. He conveyed the same sincerity and desire for peace in the world that we experienced during our conversation with him.
It is those moments that still inspire me and that I draw upon through my current medical condition. Knowing that Shimon Peres lives every day, knowing in the back of his mind, that there is some person or group that does not care if he survives another day, while maintaining focus on his calling, is a model of behavior to follow.


Lesser known, but just as inspiring, are those who have surrounded me and offered support. Every day, I go through the tally and shake my head in amazement.


Thank you(and did I tell you are invited to a big party in my backyard in the spring? I know I have, but it's still fun to to keep saying it.)!

2 comments:

Eric Davis said...

Justice does not help those who slumber but helps only those who are vigilant.-Gandhi

Stevo said...

Spent this COLD Saturday morning sipping coffe and catching up on your blog (da' boyz &the Mrs. still asleep). A Spring party in Richmond sounds so wonderful. One of the things I miss most about Richmond (besides my friends like Frazee and Skippy!) is the Spring.
The smells, the warm breezes, the bird song....Must snap to reality and start drinking my coffee again before it freezes.