Saturday, December 27, 2008

Two Great Ladies


Today, I'm remembering "Gladys." She was a family friend and the grandmother of Gina, Jay and Dana, who were friends from elementary through high school. I was in the same grade as Gina. After 95 years of making those of us who knew her feel special, she passed away on the 23rd of December. I have countless memories of her, but the one that I hold closest is her handwriting. She had miraculous handwriting. A few years ago, I started saving every Christmas or Birthday card she sent me and right now they are framed and hanging in my bedroom with the nice comments that she wrote. I always felt that the beauty of her handwriting was a glimpse into the beauty of her soul (SEE SAMPLE ABOVE). I got to visit "one on one" with her in September of this year. She told me stories of her younger years. I will never forget her.

Today is the anniversary of the death of Benazir Bhutto. In February 2003, I had an opportunity to meet her, exchange pleasantries and have my picture taken with her (SEE PICTURE TO THE LEFT) through my employer's association with The Richmond Forum. In those few minutes, she also allowed a glimpse into her soul.

May Gladys and Benazir Bhutto rest in peace. May their spirits always continue to be a gentle, persistent fire that lights the world.

Matunda ya kwanza!

2 comments:

skippy said...

First! Good to see you yesterday. Looking forward to a Boys of the Chorus reunion (minus one) next Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your oncologist is "ecstatic" over your improvement. Sometimes it's hard to get those docs excited about anything. Great going!
Lisa