Friday, April 3, 2009

"Ground Control To Major Tom"



David Bowie...crazy man, but I do like his music! I mean, how cool is it that he did a duet with Bing Crosby? It's one of my favorite songs of Christmas.

Got a call from the doctor yesterday confirming that she had seen the final pathology report and it confirmed her assessment. She also consulted with the doctor at MCV and he was in agreement with her assessment.

Some interesting information from that call:
1) My cancer was pretty advanced when it was diagnosed and some of it had gone into my bone marrow (but it's not in the bone marrow anymore).
2) I have responded well to the chemo treatments and there is but a small "live" portion left. The doctor's words were, "There are some minimal residual cells that are compatible with lymphoma." It has very intense activity. Left untreated, it is very likely it would start acting up and multiply again. How quickly it would start acting up is an unknown. Could be weeks, could be years, could be never.
3) If I was 30 years older, they would probably not treat it and just keep a close eye on it.
4) They are very confident that the new "recipe" of chemo will clean it up.
5) I will start the treatment on Wednesday, April 8 at Johnston Willis Hospital. I will have one day (April 8) of treatment at the clinic I regularly go to and then the next day (April 9), I will be admitted to the hospital for the rest of the first round of the treatment. My length of stay there will be a day or two.
6) I will be meeting with the MCV folks in the next couple of weeks to get the details of what they will be doing.
7) I will be attended to by the doctor on call when I am in the hospital next week. I asked my doctor if she had prepared her colleagues for what they were about to face.
8) I will eat everything on the plate they give me at the hospital (unless it's really nasty fish or a cauliflower type of vegetable).

Tomorrow is a visit with the Nurse Practitioner for further review and the signing of consent forms to begin the new treatment.

How and when did this adulthood responsibility thing sneak into my life?

2 comments:

skippy said...

First.

I won't grow up.
I don't wanna wear a tie
And a serious expression
In the middle of July!

Anonymous said...

That Christmas duet is one of my all-time faves, too. In fact, I sought out any kind of song(s) Bowie did with just his beautiful voice but couldn't find any. If you know, please do tell. If not, a petition is in order!