Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Weight Of Waiting


$%&@#$%!@#$%!$@^@#%&@&@#$^!
There, I put it in print. Was letting the remaining time left for my treatments get inside my head a little bit yesterday. Wasn't necessarily "Mr. Cheer" when I went to my checkup with the Nurse Practitioner. Let me tell you, they are good at picking up on that kind of stuff not soon after you walk in and start talking to them. They are good!

To add to the fun, my white cell counts were still low - as low as chemo has made them since day 1. However, the real "fun" began when I set a new personal best (if I was playing golf) for my platelet counts. The target range for platelets is between 140 and 415. When I was donating platelets, my count was 215 and that would be enough to allow them to take a double portion. When I was first diagnosed, my platelet counts were in the 130-140 range. Not long after I started chemo, my platelet count was 37. Yesterday, I was at 13. Although it's a sign that the new chemo recipe is working, that low of a count warranted a platelet infusion. It also reminded me that I promised to get on the nerves of The American Red Cross to make it easy for people to know how to donate platelets. Their web site is not user friendly to people who want to donate.

My plans to be back in the office by 2:30 were changed immediately and my revised schedule turned into being home by midnight. I was sent to the hospital to be checked in as an "observation patient" while they infused platelets into me. After being a platelet donor for over 8 years, it was odd to see platelets being put into me. I guess it was better to get platelets put into me after swearing than having my mouth washed out with soap (I kept my swearing on the inside, rather than swearing at the nurses - it wasn't their fault). It went well and I was home by 8:30. I'm allowed to resume all activities. I do need to avoid working with power tools, and I won't be doing my machete juggling act for awhile.

Here's a cool story: The menu for last night's dinner at the hospital was fried fish. Although their food is usually pretty good, I'm not a fan of fried fresh water fish. The nurse asked me if I wanted dinner and I passed on it. She had ordered pizza for the other nurses because they were having a busy day and no one had time to stop to eat. She gave me two slices of their pizza. Nice lady!

From Judith who follows this blog: "Today, please remember my friend Diana who passed away peacefully at home this morning in Chapel Hill after a 12 year battle with breast cancer." Godspeed Diana. Thank you for your courage and for "Going Good."

2 comments:

pnlkotula said...

Hello love. I finally got someone to pass me the link to your blog. Sending you love and prayers and light...

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Think of the platelets as a withdrawal for all that you banked with interest for the good you did for others.

Thanks for the shout out to Diana.

- Judith