Sunday, April 26, 2009

Pastor Bo

I was thinking about Bo yesterday when I was working in the yard. Yes Bo, I have to wear sunscreen too! I bought SPF 50 and made sure I was in the house for the day by noon.

From his journal, I can tell that Bo doesn't hesitate to tell his cancer story to anyone. He has even shared with his classmates in school. I admire his courage to show off his "port bump." I still don't look at mine. It's a "tick" that I have about it. I only touch it by accident and not on purpose.

I've never met Bo. I've only met his mother Amy. She's an awesome person (on top of the fact that she makes excellent cookies!). Bo is fortunate to have two parents that care about him. His father and mother interact with the public face to face on a daily basis. Their communication skills have been handed down to their son. That's one of the "grace points" of Bo's cancer. He's talking about it to others. He has developed a ministry from his cancer and I am getting a kick out of watching his ministry grow. I can't wait to see what kind of person he is 20-30 years from now. I think he may be a person that alot of people will know.

Cancer is a big deal, but the conversations about it that take place in hushed tones, trouble me. Some folks with cancer prefer not to talk much to others about it. I understand. It's a personal decision and those decisions vary for each individual. I'm at a point where I realize it's a large part of the conversations I have and as I mentioned in a previous post, I wonder how interesting I'd be without it as a conversation topic. However, when I do talk about it, my goal is to leave the other individual with the impression that my goal is to beat it and "skew the statistics." I think the more others know about it, the less awkward they feel about it and it also helps them know how to deliver their ministry to cancer patients.

Medical detail: The 2nd round of hair loss started today. Had I noticed it earlier, I would have gone to my barber. Oh well, the chemo nurses said I look good bald. They're cool.

Thanks Bo! The best days are ahead!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to demonstrate that I have not gone all soft on you, I would like to point out that the Heels took the Terps in lacrosse and baseball yesterday. That said, there are bigger battles in this world and you are an inspiration to all of us who are following your journey.

-Judith

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg!

Grandpa and I have been following you on Bo's site. You've been an inspiration to all of us and most especially to Bo, Amy and Rob. May God bless you and keep you safe.

Bo's Grandma