Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"With A Holy Host Of Others..."

....standing round me
Still I'm on the dark side of the moon.
And it seems like it goes on like this forever
You must forgive me
If I'm up and gone to Carolina in my mind." - James Taylor

Let me just tell you, my friend Amy mentions me on Bo's journal and my blog site lights up with hits from North Carolina yesterday. Thank you Tar Heel State friends for taking a look. I have one message for you....SEND BARBECUE!!! You know, the good kind...from your part of the state. Kidding..because I know I don't have enough freezer space to accommodate what you would send. However, if you are ever in Wallace NC, send Billy Goff my best (he's on the corner of Highway 41 and Highway 11, just a short skip off I-40). He doesn't know me from Adam, but I know who he is and I hope to see him sometime before year end.

News from Hunter's mother is that his scans came back clean yesterday. Good news for them. He has some treatments still ahead, but things are looking good for him.

Saw my doctor yesterday and counts are good. My platelets jumped from 34 on Friday to 110 yesterday. 100 clears the runway for the next round of Camp Chemo. I will be in Chemo Day Camp on Wednesday. I'll come home that evening and then go to the hospital on Thursday for overnight camp and be released on Friday. Even better news is that no one has to drive me and pick me up from overnight camp since the last experience was tolerated well.

I asked the doctor a "big boy" question yesterday. I asked her,"Is what's ahead of me to buy me time, or to buy me life?" Without hesitation, she said, "To buy you life. We are working on curing you now." I told her I knew that answer, but that I needed to hear it from her. She said it was a good question.

I also talked to her about last week being an anxiety week. She said, "Feel free to have anxiety about any of this whenever you want. We are here to help you with that and feel free to let us know whenever you need anything from us." She even cracked a joke at my expense early in the appt. yesterday. I can't remember what it was, but it was good and I gave her credit for it. She's cool.

Good times ahead!

9 comments:

blsgmsb said...

Cannot imagine the amount of BBQ you could receive . . . congrats to Camp Chemo, your doc's and buying you life . . . let the good times roll!

pnlkotula said...

Wow, that WAS a big-boy question, and a really good answer. Good to know you have such great care-givers. Love for you today.

Totally unrelated - my word to type in is "spomy". Funny.

skippy said...

"Karen, she's a silver sun,
best walk her away and watch her shinin.
Watch her watch the morning come."

I'll have that song in my head all day and that's a good thing. A glimpse into Skippy's past, I dated (for too brief a time) a redhead named Karen while I was at Carolina. Needless to say, she kindof liked that song, and now it reminds me of her.

Someone recently asked me where my happy place was and Chapel Hill was on the short list, but tailgating with my friend Greg in any college town would be there too.

If you promise to learn that Tar Heel is two words, I promise to learn that Maryland is one.

My verification word is "mentman."

Greg said...

Fixed Skippy

Anonymous said...

Gotta love me some Skippy today for pointing out the "it's two words" issue. Whenever I am down, I tune it JT's greatest hits, Carolina in My Mind, of course, has the largest play count on the iPod. Nothing like JT to put me back straight. Keep asking the big boy questions Greg, knowledge is half the battle I think.

My verification word is "ircest". Ick.

- JG

Greg said...

Craziest thing. My word was tarheel

skippy said...

Thanks big boy.

What the heck is a ircest? Now I have fingli....

skippy said...

LOL. Very funny.

Stevo said...

EVERY night my boys include "God bless Greg Frazee" in their prayers. Tons of love to you from our family. First Baltimore Oriole came to our feeder yesterday. Such beautiful birds!
So many good things linked to Maryland (one word!)