Thursday, April 2, 2009

I Read.....


...that April is National Humor month. Good thing. (Picture note: "Calvin and Hobbes" is my favorite cartoon series of all time. I have all the books.)

I was talking to the one of the friends of mine who was with me the night that I was admitted to the hospital. In our conversation, we came to the conclusion (actually I came to the conclusion - she already knew it) that I deal with stress through invoking humor. Several friends have told me, "I don't think I have laughed so much about cancer as I have with you."

Don't take that comment the wrong way. If you do, lighten up. My view is that since it's my cancer, I can do with it whatever I want. I would NEVER make a humorous comment to someone else dealing with cancer unless I was given permission. Then, I would tell them I have a wealth of material for them. I see the therapeutic value of humor as part of the treatment. It's not ignoring anything. It's knowing there is hope to be cured and that there is hope for a cure. I've read that a good sense of humor is a sign of high intelligence. Some of you may dispute that solely on the basis of using me as your point of reference.

The pastor of the church I attend mentioned in this month's newsletter that some Orthodox churches get together on Easter Monday to tell jokes and share humor. It's a celebration of the Resurrection. Pretty cool.

Here's the irony I see in next week's chemo process. I will be admitted to the hospital on Passover. Friday, I will be lying prostrate in a hospital bead with needles stuck in me. Saturday, I will be waiting to see how I'm dealing with the new drugs in me. Easter Sunday, I intend to rise up and go to Easter Service. "Now that's funny, right there. I don't care who you are."

As I've said to others, if you have any good cancer humor, pass it on. Let's use our intelligence to kick this thing's butt!

Updates: Bo continues to amaze his parents. Hunter just had his first round of the two medicines on Monday. But he was able to go to school for a whole day and even went to after- school care! Jay's spirits are good, but has a tough fight ahead of him and he will do it with humor and grace. His laugh can always make me laugh.

2 comments:

erinnicole said...

verrrrry interesting Easter weekend correspondence :)

skippy said...

I hope they don't make you roll away a stone to get out of the hospital....