Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Stress of Open Minds

Found an interesting term in The Washington Post's "On Faith Column" by David Saperstein. The term comes from the Judaic tradition. It is: "pikuach nefesh," "saving a soul". To understand the term involves one to open their mind. Bringing in air to a previously closed mind introduces stress. I've intentionally left out any further explanation or details from the article. This blog is not a political or theological mouthpiece (although, if you get under my skin....see the picture from the other day about "Cancer Starting The Fight). When the mind is open, stress flushes out.

I had a piece of Key Lime pie yesterday. I never have any stress when I am eating a piece of Key Lime pie.

A saying that I remember from the mountains where is grew up states, "A wise man changes his mind. A fool never does."

Another way I deal with stress is that I never iron the back of my dress shirt when I know I will be wearing a suit jacket or sport coat. What's the point? Sometimes, I don't even iron the sleeves-only the cuffs.

Here's to stress-less days!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too follow your ironing method when I am wearing a sweater. I only iron the collar and the cuffs. In that respect, it's too bad that sweater weather is over.

-Judith