Thursday, April 23, 2009

How Witty Can One Be About Stem Cell Transplantation?


Details from the meeting yesterday....First thing, From the Receptionist to the Doctor and RN, all were great people. My friend that went with me remarked on how much she liked everyone she met. I was there almost 4 hours. Lots of waiting, but if that means patients that are currently there and need attention take top priority, I'm all for it.

I'll summarize here, and if you want more details or have questions, post a comment and let me know how to contact you, or shoot me an e-mail and I'll get back to you.

It's not going to be a walk in the park, but I knew that going in. It will involve some shots that are intended to boost my stem cell production, followed by the harvesting of the stem cells. The good news about the stem cell harvest is that it will not involve extraction of them via a big ole needle being stuck into my bones. It will be via the apheresis process where they extract them through a port that is put into a vein. Much less intrusive and much less painful.

Once that is done, I will be given a 5 day regimen of high-dose chemotherapy that the doctor explained is 3-4 times the dosage of the chemotherapy I have received to date. It will most likely yield all of the fun side effects (nausea, diarrhea, mouth sores, etc.) that I have not had to date. Previous chemos have affected my blood counts and lowered my immune system. However, they are of a dosage that my immune system recovers on it's own with help from the Neulasta supplement. This high dose chemo will wipe out my immune system entirely. After the high dose chemo, they give my body a day to rest (What to do on my day off? I'll ask them if I can go to the beach, maybe.). After the day off, they begin the process of putting the stem cells back into me to get my body to start bringing back the immune system. That process requires an additional 10-14 days in the hospital. Barring any complications, I would then be released to go home and would be on limited human contact. I would be allowed to have visitors at my home. In fact, I will welcome it! I would be able to go to the store and work as able, but large group gatherings - even church, would not be permitted.

For two to three weeks after I am released, it would be required that I have someone with me 24 hours a day to help me as needed. For example, if I needed to go to the ER, I would most likely not be able to get there on my own. I won't be allowed to touch fresh fruit and vegetables due to the bacteria and viruses that are on them, but I will be allowed to eat them after they are thoroughly washed. If you think you would like to be part of the team of counselors at "Camp Frazee," -if only for a couple of hours, let me know. I will get a point person to organize it, but haven't yet. This all would happen sometime in late June or July. It all depends on what happens with the chemo requirements and scan results between now and then.

As far as the hospital thing, I will be allowed to have visitors and I won't be in a glass enclosed room or anything like that. Visitors will have to be free of any illness or viruses. There will be internet access for me, so I will be able to blog, e-mails and even get some work done (in between "yack" breaks). In addition, flowers and fruit will not be permitted in my room. Here's an idea, if you want to do something like that, rather than spending money on flowers, make a donation to a charity or organization you feel strongly about.

There are more details and I am happy to share them. Let me know of any questions you have.

All of this only makes the Big Backyard Party even more of a Bigger Backyard Party. Fun times!

3 comments:

skippy said...

First. Wow. It's kind of intimidating to see it all written out like that, but thanks so much for doing it Greg. It must have been much harder to write than it is to read.

Some people say that God doesn't give us any challenges that he knows that we can't handle. I don't know about that. I have a little bit of a hard time with a Supreme Being who decides to test his best creations with his worst situations.

What I do know is this: If any of my friends can handle this, it is Greg Frazee. I love you, man.

Anonymous said...

I too am convinced that Greg can handle it. Clean the germs off the keyboard before you take it to the hospital!

- Judith

pnlkotula said...

Greg - please sign me up. Whatever you need. Driving, hanging, just anything at all.