Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Shot The Sheriff


"Sheriff John Brown always hated me;
For what I don't know.
Every time that I plant a seed
He said, kill it before it grows.
He said, kill it before it grows."

And that is what this cancer thing can do to you. Some days it takes away your momentum of a positive outlook. It's something you have to deal with. The good words, cards, thoughts and prayers of others contribute to the return of upbeat days. Don't worry, I'm not sitting at home and staring out the window during these days. I'm keeping myself busy and hopefully productive. A large part of the "lack of shine in the eyes" these days is the anxiety of the "meet and greet" meeting tomorrow. Also, there is concern that if my platelet count is still low when I meet with the doctor on Monday, the chemo treatment scheduled for next week would be delayed. That would cause me to need another "mouth washed out with soap" treatment.

"Freedom came my way one day
And I started out of town.
All of a sudden I see Sheriff John Brown
Aiming to shoot me down.
So I shot, I shot him down."

Yesterday, "I shot the sheriff" by stopping by the blood center where I used to donate platelets and thanked them for the platelets I received on Monday night. Next week, I'll shoot him again by taking a Papa John's gift card to the nurse who shared her pizza with me the other night.

"I shot the sheriff, but I swear it was in self-defense."
(Lyrics from "I Shot The Sheriff" by Bob Marley)

3 comments:

skippy said...

First. Hang in there, good friend. There is no good news. There is no bad news. There is only news and what you make it to be. But you are still allowed to swear if it makes you feel better.

Kathleen said...

Sending good thoughts your way.

Anonymous said...

I think I have done enough swearing today to account for all of us. If you need the soap, I still know where you can get tons of really bitter surfactant for cheap.

- Judith