Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday - Part 2

Back from the appt. with the doctor. Following is the summary:
1) There is still some glowing areas in me. They are in the areas where the mass was. The mass is smaller than it was originally and some of the remaining mass is dead. Some of it still glows.
2) Next week, there will be a CT guided biopsy to collect tissue. Since some of the tissue is dead, they may not get some of the glowing tissue. What that means is that the biopsy results may come back negative.
3) If they are negative, they will wait six weeks and take another look.
4) If the biopsy results are positive, they will begin an aggressive chemo/stem cell treatment on me. The chemo they would use (vs. what they have been doing) would be the difference between a nuclear bomb and a regular bomb. This form of treatment would involve an extended stay in the hospital (around 3 weeks).
5) The stem cells would be collected from my blood and then held to bring my body back after the chemo treatment.

The doctor said the odds are pretty high that I will be doing the chemo/stem cell treatment (hereafter called the "sucker punch" treatment), but I won't know the details until next week. In the meantime, I am not restricted to anything. However, I won't be committing to anything for the next few months.

The good news from today is that I have responded well to the chemo treatments and they are happy with where I am with everything. The doctor also was pretty positive about that they would be able to treat and beat the alien.

Shalom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg,
I want to encourage you because I was still "glowing" on my first scan after treatment also...it was scary. But here I am...eight years later...and the only thing that is glowing at the moment is my sparkling personality. Hang in there...we continue to pray for you.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so it's a nuclear bomb. You're tough and you can handle all they throw at you (but the alien can't). Besides, you have Bo and Hunter and people on all continents praying and rooting for you. This,too,shall pass.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Blast it as hard as is necessary to make the glowing alien go away!!

- Judith

skippy said...

I like hearing that some of the alien is dead. That seems like good news. Let's see if we don't get lucky with the other news....