Thursday, March 19, 2009

"Glow Scan" Day


I arrive at the hospital at 8:45 today for the PET scan. This scan will be a more refined look at what's in there. It involves the use of a radioactive solution that gets injected into me and anywhere there is cancer, the cancer will glow when that area is scanned. From the time I arrive until I leave will be about 1.5 to 2 hours with the actual scan taking about 30 minutes. The last time I had a PET scan, I was having back pain from the bloating and pressure caused by the "alien" and I was a bit uncomfortable. I do believe this scan won't be all that bad.

My friend that gave me the sign I mentioned yesterday, said to me, "I don't believe I've ever laughed so much about something with cancer as the topic as I have when I have talked to you." Rest assured, I don't make light of cancer when it affects other people. However, humor has been one of my self-prescribed medicines and I don't regret it. Don't know if I would find as much humor if it had been a worse form of cancer, but I hope I would have found some humor at some point in the process. For the record (and it should come as no surprise), there will be humor after the PET scan today and also when I visit the doctor tomorrow.

If you are near the Washington DC area and haven't seen "Ragtime," I recommend it. It's coming to The Kennedy Center. See below:
April 18-May 17: A revival of the award-winning Ragtime returns to the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, 2700 F St. N.W., Washington. The musical, based on E.L. Doctorow's novel, traces the fates of a WASP family, an immigrant Jewish family and a black family in turn-of-the-century New York. $25-$90. 800-444-1324 or kennedy-center.org.

"Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh"
(Good health and every good blessing to you!)
A Gaelic Prayer

3 comments:

Stevo said...

First! In the NYC on biz this week.
Wish the boys of the chorus were here to take in a show and raise some hell in the Big Apple.
Best of luck with the glowing today!
Hope to call you soon to see what you think of "The Shack".

skippy said...

Funny you should mention Doctorow. He's up for a very prestigious lifetime achievement in English literature award this week. A nice write up about it Here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/18/AR2009031801331.html

Anonymous said...

Fun with glow sticks! Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and hope things go well this week. May you leave this all behind you soon and be able to change "It is what it is" to "It was what it was." Anyway, I'm just glad you are who you are!
- Judy O