Saturday, March 21, 2009

P'scuse Me If I Repeat Myself


So....there has been some time to mentally process yesterday's doctor visit.

Everybody I have talked to regards the information as good news. The doctor is very optimistic that the alien will be wiped out. Largely, due to the way my body has responded to the previous chemo treatments and the ability of the pending treatment to finish the job.

It's another example of "It Is What It Is." I do not have exact details of how or when the whole thing will go down. Depending on the biopsy results next week, treatment could start as soon as the next few weeks or 2 months from now. I don't concern myself with details that I don't have to address immediately. That's my MO. When I get them, I will pass them on. For now, to paraphrase my friend Amy (Bo's mother), I will continue to ride the rollercoaster blindfolded.

In addition, I'm going to increase my level of exercise so the body is in better shape to deal with what is about to hit it. To paraphrase another friend, I'm going to have to drink my own kool-aid. I tell people that the chemo room/hospital is the safest place you can be during cancer treatment. It is there where you have someone watching and listening to you if something is bothering you. Even though I'm not wild about spending 3 weeks in the hospital, I know that I will be well cared for while I am there.

A friend of mine told me about a friend of hers that went through the same treatment 10 years ago. She admitted that the treatment itself is pretty taxing on the body, but that her friend is doing well 10 years later. I got that going for me.

Another comment the doctor made yesterday was that my attitude through everything so far has been amazing. She encouraged me to keep it up and that it would go a long way in helping deal with what's ahead. She was even amused with the button I gave her yesterday. The message on the button is: "My Oncologist Is My Homegirl." It and various other humorous items are available at www.gotcancer.org.

Amen

1 comment:

skippy said...

First! Hey, but it looks good on you!