Monday, March 2, 2009

Nature's Pruning

I had an in person visit yesterday with my high school friend (that I've mentioned in a previous posting), and her husband. They were in town and stopped by. It was Great Medicine to see them.

We talked about the early days of when we were diagnosed with our various cancers, our testing and treatment. I can say for me, the early days were the worst. Physically, I felt bad. Mentally, I didn't know what was coming. These days, I feel better physically, but the chemo drugs do have a mind of their own and with the last two treatments, I have felt a slight reduction in the "steroid spring in my step." It's not a dramatic reduction, it's a slight sluggishness that's reminds you there is poison in your body. Rest takes care of it.

I am full of admiration, compassion, good thoughts and prayers for Bo Baker and his family. As you know, they are writing their experiences in a journal and I am proud of them. These are tough days for them and through their journal, they are letting us know what their concerns are and how best we can care for them. I look forward to the day when cancer treatments also include an elimination or minimization of the initial mental pain and confusion.

As humans, we tend to focus on the "bright shiny objects" that attract our attention. They change from day to day. I ask that you make Bo and his family (and all the other people whose names we do not know) a constant "bright shiny object" in your hearts and minds.

“May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past” - Irish Blessing

3 comments:

skippy said...

First! No snow day for the Fed. Stoopid Chicagoan for a CEO...

JPNtheHUN said...

Am loving my snow day! Some days it's good to be a state employee! And how 'bout those Lady Terps? WOOHOO! Greg--what's your snow story? We've got 4-6 here in College Park.

Stevo said...

I'm in FL on biz and it's kinda COLD here. 40ish. But no snow here and no snow back in MI, either. Not happy to hear about snow in Richmond as that may delay Greg's promised spring party?